Friday, May 9, 2014

An Open Letter to Mother Nature.


I am a chieftain among men when it comes to missing out on awe-inspiring natural disasters. That’s not to say that where I go is safe to follow: quite the contrary, but I am never a part of the terrible experience that so many can say that they lived through.

In particular, I can think of three stories.

The first takes place in Disney World, believe it or not. We had gone down to Disney in a trailer to stay at the only trailer park in Disney because having a big family meant sleeping several feet from half your immediate relatives. I was seven, and at the time, I didn’t know any better. I thought camping was the best I could ask for…that is until two tornados tore up the county. It was the deadliest tornado disaster in the history of Florida, with forks of lining that even Floridians couldn’t handle, knifing through the sky and splitting open trees. The real sufferers, however, were people that lived in a trailer park five miles south of where we were. Sleeping tight in my own trailer, I never saw a thing, not the swirling winds of either tornado nor the bright flashes nor the deluge that came with them both. When I woke the next morning, everyone had a story to tell but me.

The second was one of the most destructive blizzards the northeast has ever seen. It happened in October, which was why it was so devastating, hauling down trees that hadn’t lost their leaves, felling ancient monuments to the existence of nature in the few small spaces where they hadn’t been pushed out by Connecticutians. My father, and he was not alone in this, described it as looking very much like the pictures of Hiroshima when you walked through the forest. Everything had been pulverized. People were without power for months in a part of the country where missing your TV shows can be a tragedy. A tree fell through my Aunt’s roof and, to my knowledge, wasn’t removed for almost a week because there was simply too much damage to the infrastructure of the state to allow engineering crews to do anything else. And while this once in a lifetime experience was taking place, I was spending my very first winter in the south of the country, away from the northeast, where snow had also paralyzed the state…except that the snow was a dusting of half an inch and only resulted in a distinct shortage of eggs and milk at the local WalMart, the shortage being caused by paranoid denizens and not the storm itself.

The last was one of the first earthquakes that I can remember hitting the east coast. As long as I’ve lived here, there has been only one. Mind you, I’m the kind of person who wonders what it must be like to have the Earth shift beneath your feet, rattling and vibrating and pulling pictures off the wall (because that’s about as disastrous as I can imagine). It happened near Richmond, VA while I was living in South Carolina, only two states over. By all means I should have felt it. I should have heard glass shattering and metal groaning. Certainly, some of my fellows did sitting in different buildings, but I was in the engineering building, which for some strange reason, had been properly engineered not to do those very things. How is one supposed to experience a natural disaster if you are so well prepared, University? What really cooks my goose is that the vibration was felt by people in the next room who quickly came over and let me know what their bottoms had felt. Unfortunately for me, I had been sitting on a cushy chair with my feet pulled up Indian style. I never felt a thing.

So to you, Mother Nature, while some might find you moody or vindictive or to be a stone-cold bitch, I say thank you. For whatever reason, and I don’t want to say it was the invasive species project I did in AP Biology (though it might have been), you have spared me your wrath. If you could kindly keep doing that, I would be more than appreciative.

Hugs and Kisses,
Bryan Thurston

No comments:

Post a Comment